Minsan may dumarating na pelikula na sinusupresa ka dahil akala mo simpleng entertainment lang tapos bigla kang bubulagain ng sobrang bonggang pagkakagawa o ng mindblowing na kakaibang insight sa buhay.
Hindi ito ang movie na iyon.
Not by a looooooong shot.
It is basically a movie designed to service kung ano ang gustong mapanood ng mga fans nina Sharon Cuneta at Robin Padilla, who shall henceforth be known as ShaBin.
Based naman sa reaction ng mga kasabay namin sa sine, nagdeliver ang movie. But there is totally nothing unexpected in Unexpectedly Yours.
Despite the concessions given Sharon and Robin’s age, the movie still played like the ShaBin movies of old.The bargas masa Robin rubs the Highborn Sharon the wrong way from the very first moment of their meet-cute but falls for each other in the end.
Meet-cute pa rin ba tawag pag singkwenta-anyos na yung mga bida?
Tulad ng dati, Robin’s brash manners belies his gentlemanly virtues kaya naman slowly but surely he melts Sharon icy cold, though already nagha-hot flashes na’ng facade.
And of course at the moment that they finally admit their attraction to each other, the disapproving Societal Differences rears its ugly head to push them apart. But not to worry because love still wins in the end.
In short, hungluma ng premise.
The movie starts with Sharon celebrating her 50th birthday in a hotel room with her high school BFFs.
Pero what are the odds na on that same day, in the same hotel, eh nandun rin ang ex-hubby niyang si John Estrada sa poolside para tiyempuhan ni Sharon na magpupropose sa new fiancee niya and at the same time eh dun rin nakabillet si Robin who turns out to be Sharon’s high school batchmate… plus soon-to-be nextdoor neighbor?
Do the math.
Katanggap-tanggap pa ba sa atin ang odds?
Let’s move on.
Perhaps preempting ang mga nega-stars ni Mega, binuilt-in na ng writers ang mga real-life nega-comment kay Sharon at ibinuhos ito sa character niyang si Patty bilang gags at dialogues. Her hot flashes as a premenopausal woman is a running gag throughout the movie. May secretary siyang may P-F defect who calls her Ms. Fatty. Her mom, played to a T by Pilar Pilapil, called her “fat though pretty” to her face. Sharon herself verbalizes na she knows she’s fat and needs to go on a diet while still wearing sexy clothes fit for plus size women.
Actually parang therapy-in-a-movie nga ito dahil aside from the fat issue, winuworkout rin ng character ni Sharon’ yung situation wherein she is forced to question her relevance in a business where she used to shine while being pushed aside by younger, more driven collegue.
Straight from the showbiz page headlines ‘no?
Si Robin naman wore a villainous moustache reminiscent of Rod Navarro for the movie.
Dat it. Para meron lang gwapo reveal later sa movie.
Doing his go-to schtick, Robin overplays his character yet again, any moment feeling ko sesegue na siya sa copypoints ng Liveraide.
Hinawa niya pa si Joshua Garcia sa OA na pagwapo effect. Pleeeease. Dont try to make “Pwedeeeee” happen. Lerd.
Joshua please resist the urge. Ipaubaya mo na sa iba ang hamonado acting. Mas pa-John Lloyd Cruz ang trajectory mo dapat.
Along with Joshua, Julia Barretto is also in the cast as the totally unnecessary nephew ni Robin at anak ni Sharon respectively.
Feeling ko lang that they were underutilized. Joshua and Julia have already proven twice na kaya nilang magdala ng movie on their own, given a good script. Here, they tried to do as much with what was given to them, pero nasayang lang sila bilang chuwariwap na subplots sa kwento nina ShaBin.
Tanggalin mo yung characters nina Joshua at Julia, pwede paring tumakbo yung kwento. And even if you keep the characters, it doesnt even have to be Joshua and Julia at all. Kahit sinong upcoming young starlets could have filled the parts.
- Hungganda ni Marina Benipayo as one of the matronic bffs. How to be you po?
- Swak na barkada ni Sharon si Marina with Maritoni Fernandez at Yayo Aguila. Pero bakit si Tobey Alejar parang matandang bakla ang ganap?
- Nag-introduce ang movie ng ng ubod sa manggagamit na family for Robin sa simula na totally nagdisappear sa rest of the movie. Ok naman kasi nakakairita sila pero why give them screentime in the first place?
- Amperfect ni Pilar Pilapil sa role. Parang true to life.
- Hungganda nung village na pinagshootingan nila. Sana magkaroon rin ako ng kapitbahay na lumalabas nang nakapantulog na boxershorts lang tulad ni Robin at Joshua.
- Parang sobrang nipis na ni Julia. In contrast normal size na ang pisngi niya.
- Hindi ko naman masisi Julia, kung afford ko, susugurin ko rin sa London si Jameson Blake. Hungsarap niya.
- Bakit banat na banat ang fez ng yaya-katu nina Sharon? Either may pampa-Belo siya o inaalmirol niya ang fez niya pagkatapos maligo.
- Nakakaloka ang coiffure ni Philip Lazaro sa reunion scene pero nung sumasayaw na sila, may baon yata siyang sariling wind machine kasi siya lang ang bumi-Beyonce wind-in-your-hair effect. Kabog.
- Sa closing sequence ng movie, may dance number ang mga BFFs na may pa-top shot. yung iba, kita mo ulo then palda. Si Sharon ulo then maputing cleavage. May padede si Mayora.
The movie is most entertaining sa mga pointless yet fun harutan scenes between Sharon and Robin. Nakakatuwa pa rin namang makitang kinikilig si Mega….but barely. Last na ito ha, please.
Honestly medyo may umay na with a side order of cringe.
Ipaubaya na sa iba.
The movie majorly faltered when it tried to inject timeliness sa plot in the form of the Gen X versus Millennials debate. Worthy naman yung intention pero it didn’t feel organic sa takbo ng main plot. The movie tried to say too much about too many things when they could have just focused in one expound on it better.
Sana mas nagfocus na lang ang movie sa challenges of growing old, of slowly feeling irrelevant, while juggling the discovery love again, after you thought your best years has already passed you by. . And then try finding the kilig and humor in it for the script.
But i guess that would take a lot more in-depth study and insights. Pero sana they took the time to do it for the movie.
That would have been really unexpected.